About Great Lakes Forge
Great Lakes Forge is a metal forging company with over 60 years of steadfast commitment within the custom forging industry. As a traditional open-die forging manufacturer, our vast experience encompasses three generations of family ownership. This fortitude within the custom forging industry provides Great Lakes Forge with a better in-depth feel for the industry than most other forging companies.
Our Custom Forging History
History of the company can be traced back to the early 1900s when a steam hammer was moved from Chicago to Grand Rapids, Michigan. In 1946 the current family purchased the company and built it to become a prosperous hammer shop and tool steel distributor. A hydraulic press was purchased in the early '70s and the tool steel part of the business was later sold. In late '80s the press was moved to its current location in Traverse City, Michigan.
A Smaller, Faster Steel Forging Manufacturer
As a smaller and privately-owned metal open-die forging manufacturer, Great Lakes Forge can be a quality supplier to your company thanks to our:
- Shorter Lead Times
- Flat line management team
- No parent company with mixed agendas
- Belief that your business means a lot; you're not just another account
- Greater attention to detail
- Attitude that "bigger is not always better"
Great Lakes Forge is a custom steel forging manufacturer that produces the forgings that you need using only the finest materials in existence. Our custom forging materials, include:
- 15-5 PH Stainless Steel - 15-5 PH stainless steel is a martensitic precipitation hardening steel that provides high strength and high hardness qualities. It also offers corrosion resistance greater than that of straight chromium grades such as 410. It can be compared to chromium nickel grades.
- 13-8 Stainless Steel - The nature of 13-8 stainless steels closely controlled chemical composition, and microstructure, give it a higher level of useful mechanical properties under severe environmental conditions than other ferrous metals can provide.
- 17-4 PH Stainless Steel - This tough and rugged steel has numerous beneficial qualities including: high strength and hardness, good galling and stress corrosion resistance, exceptional oxidation resistance and excellent overall corrosion resistance.
- 316 & 316L Stainless Steel - 316 stainless steel is a molybdenum-bearing austenitic material that exhibits various beneficial qualities including: high strength, creep resistance, rugged toughness, excellent mechanical qualities and good corrosion resistance.
- Nitronic 50 Stainless Steel - Nitronic 50 stainless steel is an austenitic alloy with added nitrogen that provides numerous beneficial qualities over 316 stainless steel, including: increased strength, greater corrosion resistance and double the yield strength.
As metal forging companies go, Great Lakes Forge we may be small in size, but we compensate by being really big in service. When other steel forging manufacturers can't meet your delivery requirement, or are not living up to their promises, Great Lakes Forge continues to maintain a high percentage rate of quick on-time deliveries. As an open-die forging manufacturer, some of the industries that we serve include:
- Oil & Gas
- Press Repair
- Mining Industry
- Power Generation
Contact Great Lakes Forge Today
Contact us for more information on our company and our custom forging capabilities, or request a quote today.