Custom Stainless Steel Forging
Industrial manufacturing processes utilize stainless steel open die forgings to produce excellent strength, corrosion resistance, and heat resistance. Austenitic stainless steel (300 series) is the most common forged stainless steel alloy used for sanitary applications due to its easy cleaning and high corrosion resistance. Martensitic (400 series) and duplex stainless forgings are robust and corrosion-resistant and provide superior stress cracking and pitting resistance. All forged stainless steels provide easy machining capabilities.
Contact us for more information regarding our custom stainless steel forging capabilities, materials, and processes, or give us a call at 800-748-0271, and we’ll gladly assist you. GLF is your trusted source for premium stainless steel forgings.
Forged Stainless Steel Manufacturing Capabilities
The stainless steel forgings process amplifies the existing qualities of stainless steel, delivering an enhanced look and feel. The forging process improves the corrosion resistance of stainless steel, permitting the grade to endure and withstand harsh, aggressive, and more extreme environments. Custom stainless steel forgings also produce a unique and continuous grain flow that follows the part, unlike other processes such as casting or machining.
Custom Stainless Steel Forging Advantages
The forging stainless steel process provides a wide range of benefits for your forged part project requirement needs. Great Lakes Forge creates custom stainless steel forging parts with the following benefits:
- Protective Oxide Layer - Stainless steel open die forgings contain a protective oxide layer that enhances corrosion resistance. These metal forgings resist stress cracking, crevice corrosion, pitting, deformation, and other hazards that could shorten the life span of a forged part.
- High Corrosion Resistance – Custom stainless steel forgings allow prolonged exposure to corrosive environments such as pumps, valves, chemical and petrochemical processing equipment, and marine equipment.
- High Heat Resistance - Stainless steel forged parts maintain incredibly high heat resistance qualities in situations used for heat exchangers, furnaces, and ovens.
In addition, stainless steel forgings retain all of the advantages of a forged part - the open die forging process contains the internal grain of the stainless steel, which creates a much more substantial part than a cast or machined part.
There are also certain disadvantages associated with using stainless steel as your material of choice for your forging needs. Some disadvantages associated with stainless steel are its high cost, fabrication handling ability, difficulty in welding, and finishing challenges.
Forged Stainless Steel Alloy Options
Great Lakes Forge carries the following standard grades of stainless steel. In addition, we have built solid relationships with our stainless steel suppliers, which allows us to bring in and forge differing grades and specifications as necessitated by your project requirements.
- 300 series stainless steel: 303, 304/304L, 316/316L, 317, 321
- 400 series stainless steel: 410, 420, 440C
- Precipitation hardening stainless steel: 13-8 VIM/VAR, 15-5 VAR, 17-4
- Nitronic stainless steel: 50
- Additional stainless steel grades: A182F51 (2205), A182F6NM, custom 450 ESR[H2]
Stainless Steel Fluid Ends
Once considered an expendable, throw-away item, stainless steel fluid ends are more valuable now than ever before. Forged stainless steel fluid ends are less corrosive than carbon steel ends, so they are perfect for industries that continually deal with corrosive fluids.
Great Lakes Forge provides the industry’s highest-graded stainless steel fluid ends. Compared to other companies that use carbon steel for their fluid ends, our stainless steel fluid ends give nearly twice as much life as carbon steel ends.
Why Choose GLF for Your Stainless Steel Forging Needs?
Stainless steel forgings from Great Lakes Forge are produced from our extensive raw sound center stainless steel billet inventory. If your company uses a forging supplier that quotes long lead times, turn to Great Lakes Forge for your stainless steel forging needs.
Once your order is received, we complete your forgings with the shortest lead times in the industry, providing the industry’s most revered customer service.
Contact GLF for Custom Stainless Steel Open Die Forgings Today
Contact us for more information regarding our custom stainless steel forging services, or request a quote for further pricing information today.